About Michael R. Whitehead, PhD
I am a classically trained Marriage and Family Therapist. I have a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in HDFS with a specialization in Couple and Family Therapy from Michigan State University; a Master of Science (MS) in Marriage and Family Therapy and a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Marriage, Family, and Human Development both from Brigham Young University. BYU and MSU were some of the first family therapy training programs in the United States and are both consistently among the top five rated programs in the US (see here).
My therapeutic approach is informed by the most current research based interventions and theories. I work hard to build a relationship of trust with each member of the family being treated and use an experiential approach to help therapy remain effective. My goal is to provide my clients with skills and insights they need so they can continue to move forward in a healthy relationship with each other.
My areas of specialization include child directed family therapy, developmentally appropriate parenting practices (informed by Attachment Based Family Therapy), handling marital conflict (informed by Gottman Method Couple Therapy), and the process of finding one’s self (informed by Bowen Family Systems Theory). While these specializations are areas in which I have advanced experience and training in, it does not limit my ability to work with other – more general issues, such as: depression, anxiety, problematic substance use, child behavior problems and any of the other issues found here.
In addition to my clinical practice, I also teach in the Marriage and Family Therapy department at Northcentral University (online). I also periodically write articles, present workshops, or provide trainings on a range of topics from Play Therapy to the proper treatment of Oppositional Defiant Disorder and ADHD.
About Family Therapy
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) – Idaho (LMFT – 7120)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) – Washington (LF60462315)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) – Utah (8324338-3902)
- PhD – Human Development and Family Studies, specializing in Couple and Family Therapy –
Michigan State University (2016)
- MS – Marriage and Family Therapy –
Brigham Young University (2009)
- BS – Marriage, Family and Human Development –
Brigham Young University (2007)
- Registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S) (2016)
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor (2013)
- Gottman Method Couple Therapy (Level 1 & 2 completed, working toward certification)